What do you do when you ﬁnd yourself feeling stressed out and anxious? Do you call a friend? Do you visit the gym and take your frustrations out on the nearest treadmill? Or maybe you like to relax with a soothing, hot shower? Each of us needs help to relax once in a while. Over time, the everyday stresses you experience can take their toll on your emotional and physical wellbeing, so it is important to ﬁnd simple ways to relieve anxiety and provide balance to yourself each day.
One helpful relaxation technique involves the use of aromatherapy to achieve emotional balance. In aromatherapy, plant-derived essential oils are carefully chosen for their therapeutic beneﬁts. One of the best ways to achieve these beneﬁts is through candles infused with essential oils. Along with aromatherapy, candles provide pleasure through pleasing aromas, as well as warmth and beautiful style for your home.
If stress is keeping you awake at night, try the following relaxation method before going to bed. Go into a darkened, comfortable room and light a candle. As you meditate for a few minutes, focus on the warmth and comfort you wish to achieve for a restful night’s sleep. Deepen your breathing as you take in the aromatherapy from the candle. As your thoughts focus on positive feelings, you will ﬁnd your daily stresses melting away. This technique also works well when taking a bubble bath with essential oils. Once you are sufficiently relaxed, go to bed and allow yourself to drift away.
As you begin to use aromatherapy, look for candles with one of the following best fragrances for relaxation to encourage calm, positive feelings and quality sleep:
- Lavender – This essential oil is one of the best known for relaxation and sleep. A mild, pleasing ﬂoral, lavender also provides some relief from depression.
- Rose – A fragrance that reminds one of love and romance, the hearty sweet scent of rose relieves nervousness and melts away frustrations.
- Camomile – Camomile, sweet and herbaceous, provides a calming inﬂuence and helps with insomnia.
- Ylang Ylang – Native to the Philippines and Indonesia, ylang ylang is a tree valued for its aromatic qualities. It provides a sweet, rich aroma that combines well with orange – another oil that promotes relaxation and releases tension. Ylang ylang is thought to calm the heart and nerves.
- Frankincense – An essential oil that has been in use since ancient biblical times, frankincense has a sweet, balsamic-like scent that helps focus the mind and promotes tranquility.
- Bergamot – A fruit similar to lemon, bergamot is typically grown for its essential oil uses. Often combined with other essential oils, bergamot is used in aromatherapy to ﬁght depression and relieve anxiety.
Remember that essential oils used for relaxation will also help you to sleep well. They can improve your state of mind, calm your nerves and give you peaceful, relaxing thoughts. These beneﬁts will help you achieve overall wellness and harmony in body and mind.